Heads up, BART riders! BART’s 50th anniversary is September 11, and the transit service is pulling out all the stops for a month-long celebration in honor of their loyal ridership. Clipper fares will be 50% off during the month of September, and there will be arcade games, an outdoor festival, and several live concerts happening around different stations.
Riders can enjoy a 50% discount on all published BART fares through the entire month of September, available when using a Clipper card. The fare will be automatically deducted when scanning your card at fare gates.
The discount is stackable with other Clipper discount cards, such as the following:
- Youth Clipper card (50% off for youth 5-18)
- Senior Clipper card (62.5% off for seniors 65+)
- Clipper START (20% off for qualifying low-income adult riders)
- RTC Clipper card (62.5% off for riders with qualifying disabilities).
50th anniversary events and activities
Vintage arcade games
From 9am-5pm on September 3-9, riders can play free vintage arcade games on the concourse level of Powell St. Station. Games include Pac-Man, Galaga, Asteroids, and Space Invaders.
50th Birthday Party and Family Fun Festival
Lake Merritt Station Plaza will throw a family-friendly party on September 10 from 11am-4pm. Enjoy food trucks, live music, games, prizes, special guests, and a time capsule reveal from 1992.
Sound Tracks concerts
Free live concerts at several stations in September and October.
- September 21, 5-6:30pm, Downtown Berkeley Station
- September 28, 5-6:30pm, El Cerrito del Norte Station
- October 7, Glen Park Station (short story readings from BART Lines, time TBA)
50th anniversary merchandise
For the total BART-heads among us: you can now buy a commemorative 50th anniversary BART t-shirt to show your love! They’re also selling blue ticket stickers as an ode to the old-school paper ticket days. Get all your BART swag at railgoods.com.
Featured image: @coyah.hunt on Instagram