Any Bay Area resident perks up when it comes to sustainable living. The secondhand industry is influencing even the most forward-thinking fashionistas and home decorators. Do you know where the best thrift shops are in the Bay Area? We asked our Instagram followers for their recommendations, and they didn’t disappoint! Read on to discover the best Bay Area thrift stores, recommended by locals.
This popular thrift store chain specializes in buying and trading clothing. You can get cash or store credit on the spot for your contributions. It’s one of the nation’s leading secondhand clothing stores and has been a pioneer in the industry since 1991!
- 2338 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
- 5901 College Ave, Oakland
- 1901 Fillmore St, San Francisco
- 630 Irving St, San Francisco
- 2123 Market St, San Francisco
- 1008 Blossom Hill Rd, San Jose
- 1959 West San Carlos, San Jose
- 811 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz
Out of the Closet is a unique thrift store chain because they donate 96% of proceeds to help people living with HIV and AIDS. It’s a totally unique business model that gives back to your community as well as the environment.
- 1498 Polk St, San Francisco
- 1295 Folsom St, San Francisco
- 238 East 18th St, Oakland
- 1600 University Ave, Berkeley
Community Thrift Store is a certified nonprofit San Francisco Green Business that works with over 200 local charities. They have everything from clothing to household products, electronics, and books!
Location: 623 Valencia St, San Francisco
This legendary thrift store chain has opened nearly 50 locations all over the country since founding their first store in Tucson, Arizona in 1974. They specialize in buying, trading, and selling recycled clothing.
- 1555 Haight St, San Francisco
- 1210 Valencia St, San Francisco
This Black-0wned re-sale boutique curates a beautiful collection of vintage, designer, and independent labels that don’t break the bank. Join their community of fashion-forward, socially conscious individuals.
Location: 1815 Polk St, San Francisco
This glamorous thrift store sells a lovely curated clothing selection. Wasteland is specialzings in selling second-hand designer and contemporary items. This includes classic luxury clothing, and modern favorites that are more affordable such as Zara. Not only can you visit them in person in San Francisco, but they have a great setup online to order both men’s and women’s clothing to your door.
Location: 1660 Haight St, San Francisco
7. 2nd STREET
This popular thrift store chain hails from Japan and offers a large selection of different curated styles. Any items that don’t end up getting sold in stores are sent to partner companies to repurpose for other uses. If you want to find name brand and designer items at a discount, second street carries a variety of items, including high-end bags and clothing.
- 2543 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley
- 1560 Haight St, San Francisco (coming soon)
Goodwill is a well-knwon thrift shop, and San Francisco has several locations with unique selections.
- Goodwill Boutique, 61 West Portal Ave: Goodwill is a legendary consignment store anywhere you go, but this Goodwill Boutique in San Francisco is worth checking out for its extra curated selection of secondhand designer brands and quality clothing.
- Goodwill Haight Ashbury, 1700 Haight St: If you want to find some vintage gems at thrift store prices, the Haight Ashbury Goodwill has a vintage section where you can find many unique pieces.
- Goodwill Filmore, 1669 Fillmore St: This Fillmore St location has a wide variety of clothing, from vintage to finds to contemporary clothes.
9. Born Again Thrift
Born again thrift opened in 2022 in the Mission District. The thrift shop includes a variety of items, such as accessories, athletic wear, and denim.
This consignment shop is perfect for buyers and sellers. All sales are split with the buyer 50/50 and the shop offers a wide selection of amazing clothes. There are three locations, a women’s store, men’s store, and women’s sale store.
- 3483 Sacramento Street
- 3333 Sacramento Street
Featured image: Goodwill Boutique via Yelp