With Halloween quickly approaching, it’s the perfect time for a scary movie. Whether you’re looking for campy fun or a bone-chilling thriller, it’s officially the season for horror films. Luckily, many SF theaters are playing your favorite Halloween classics as the holiday approaches. Check out some great Halloween movie screenings below to help you get into the spooky spirit.
Balboa Theater is a staple for all movie lovers in SF. The historic theater has been screening movies since it first opened in 1926 in the Outer Richmond and continues to delight audiences today. View the full schedule here.
- Oct 25 at 7:30 pm: The Evil Dead
- Oct 27 at 7:30 pm: Night of the Living Dead on 16mm
- Oct 28 at 11:00pm: The Rocky Horror Picture Show with The Bawdy Caste Live Shadow Cast
- Oct 29 at 7:30 pm: Phantasm
- Oct 30 at 7:30 pm: Gallery 3630 presents The Neon Demon
- Oct 31 at 9:00pm: Halloween Edition: The Rocky Horror Picture Show with The Bawdy Caste Live Shadow Cast
The Vogue Theater is another iconic spot to watch classics and new films in SF. The Presidio Heights Theater opened in 1912 called the Elite Theater. The theater has several Halloween classics on the schedule for October.
- Oct 27 at 9:30: The Friday night special film series presents Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Alamo Draft House
Alamo Draft House not only plays classic films and new hits, but it also serves mouthwatering food and beer with the shows. Perfect for a date night or just a special movie experience, you can catch cult favorites or the newest blockbuster at the theater. Plusm the theater has plenty of Halloween movie screenings to help you celebrate the holiday. View the full schedule here.
- Oct 25 at 6:45 pm: Beetlejuice movie party
- Oct 25 at 9:30 pm: Shredder Orpheus
- Oct 29 at 12:00 pm: Wendell and Wild
- Oct 30 at 7:00pm: Night of the Creeps
- Oct 31 at 9:30pm: Night of the Demons
Ferry Flicks at the Ferry Building
Fort Point Beer Garden will once again host Ferry Flicks every Friday at sunset. Enjoy $5 draft pours before the show during happy hour. Tickets include picnic table seating and snacks.
- Oct. 27 at 7:00pm: Beetlejuice
Foreign cinema is known for serving delicious dinners along with classic movies in its secluded outdoor patio. In true Halloween spirit, Buffy the Vampire Slayer will be playing starting Oct 16. The movie starts dusk for the outdoor patio, so we recommend scheduling your dinner accordingly.
- Oct 16- Nov 5 at dusk: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Sundown Cinema brings free moving screenings to various outdoor venues in SF. The program is an SF favorite, running throughout the summer. The last free screening of the season is a family favorite movie for Halloween at Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in McLaren Park.
- Oct 20 at 6:30 pm: Ghostbusters (1984)