April is here, and with Earth Day on the 22nd, San Francisco is due for some spring cleaning. That’s why SF Rec & Parks has kicked off Earth Month, wherein San Franciscans can take part in neighborhood volunteering efforts, special activities, concerts, celebrations, bird and nature walks, workshops, and much more.
Every weekend this April brings a new batch of things to do. We’re especially excited about the recurring native plant garden at McLaren Park, which will be popping up on Saturdays from 10am-12:30pm at Visitacion and Hahn Avenues.
Of course, Earth Day itself on April 23 will bring epic celebrations and volunteer opportunities across SF parks, the biggest of which will be Golden Gate Park’s One Tree Planted Earth Day Celebration. From 9:30am-12:30pm, volunteers can help beautify spots including Conservatory Valley, the Music Concourse, Mother’s Meadow, and Robin Williams Meadow with the nonprofit One Tree Planted. Alemany Farm will also host an awesome family-friendly celebration with potato planting, farm tours, live music, a pig roast, and more.
Here’s a overview, but you can find more details and information via SF Rec & Parks.
- April 9 – Alemany Farm Birdwalk
- April 9 – Alemany Farm Gardening Workshop
- April 9, 16, 23, 30 – McLaren Park Native Plant Garden
- April 30 – SF Youth Take Climate Action at Gilman Playground
- April 30 – SF Youth Take Climate Action at Louis Sutter Playground
- April 30 – SF Youth Take Climate Action at Lafayette Park
- April 30 – SF Youth Take Climate Action at Glen Canyon Park
- April 23 – Earth Day on the Green Celebration
- April 23 – Bike Ride for Climate Action with the Department of the Environment
- April 23 – International Earth Day Celebration with GGP Audubon Society & Assemblymember Phil Ting
- April 24 – Dia de Los Ninos, Dia de Los Libros with the San Francisco Public Library
There are countless volunteer opportunities happening each weekend this month. Get details and register here.
- April 9 – Rotary Day of Service (separate registration here)
- April 9 – Legion of Honor Volunteer Project
- April 9 – Duboce Park Volunteer Workparty
- April 9 – Panhandle Park Volunteer Project
- April 9 – Strawberry Hill Butterfly Habitat Restoration Project
- April 10 – Garfield Square Volunteer Workparty
- April 16 – Buena Vista Neighborhood Association Volunteer Workparty
- April 16 – Glen Canyon Habitat Restoration
- April 16 – Mountain Lake Volunteer Workparty
- April 21 – Mission Dolores Volunteer Workparty
- April 23 – Mount Davidson Volunteer Workparty
- April 23 – Alvord Lake Volunteer Project
- April 23 – One Tree Planted Earth Day Celebration in Golden Gate Park
As San Francisco moves into spring, it’s a perfect time to connect with our beautiful city and give it some TLC. Consider volunteering around town on any weekend in April, and reward your hard work with some fun activities and celebrations.
Featured image: @sfrecpark via Instagram