Twice a month, ‘Sundown Cinema’ will present a movie on the big screen accompanied by several live performances.
San Francisco Parks Alliance and Do The Bay have partnered to bring back the popular Sundown Cinema series, which presents awesome FREE movies on a giant screen in various parks around the city. Each screening will be accompanied by live performances from local musical groups, many of which are yet to be announced.
The lineup is as follows:
- Friday, August 27: Sister Act at Dolores Park (featuring Sister Roma of Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and a Sister Act performance by The Vine choir of Grace Cathedral)
- Friday, September 10: Soul at Alamo Square (featuring performance from SF Jazz)
- Thursday, September 23: Princess Diaries at Washington Square Park
- Thursday, October 7: A League of Their Own at Golden Gate Park Big Rec
- Friday, October 22: E.T. at Jerry Garcia Ampitheatre
Sundown Cinema is back…and just in time for SF summer!🌁☀️🍃😎
— SF Parks Alliance (@SFParksAlliance) August 17, 2021
All events start at 6pm, and screenings begin after sunset around 8pm. Arrive early to enjoy live music and performances, and snag a seat while munching on delicious treats from local food trucks! The event organizers encourage guests to walk, bike, or take public transport to the screenings, and to leave alcohol at home. Be sure to bring warm clothes and blankets because, of course, this is San Francisco.
The series is free and open to all. VIP seats are already sold out, but you can RSVP to try and win reserved seats and an Xfinity gift pack ($140 value)!
SF Parks Alliance and Do The Bay were motivated to bring back outdoor film screenings in response to the delta variant surge. As such, they will carefully monitor the Covid-19 situation and hold each event in accordance with current local health guidelines. They strongly encourage guests to wear masks!
Sundown Cinema has been a favorite local event for 3 years running! It’s a great opportunity to connect with your neighborhood and enjoy the city’s beautiful parks in a cozy outdoor setting. Donations to SF Parks Alliance are encouraged so we can continue enjoying awesome events like these.
Featured image: @SFParksAlliance via Twitter