A list of coronavirus cancellations, closures and postponements in the Bay Area.
As the situation continues to escalate and major events and gatherings are being canceled or postponed each day in an attempt to slow down the spread of coronavirus. This includes highly anticipated shows and events like the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Tame Impala concert, Hamilton production and the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child theatre performance. In addition to these cancellations, major museums and attractions have been closed until further notice. [Featured image: Artem Maltsev]
UPDATE: On March 11, California banned ALL gatherings with 1,000 or more people and through at least March 25. Additionally, all non-essential gatherings of more than 250 people or 10 or more “at-risk” individuals should be canceled. New venues have been added below, along with details.
Cancellations and closures
Unless otherwise mentioned, all public events (with 50 or more attendees) and performances falling on or between March 7 and March 20 at the following venues have been canceled, along with some temporary closures.
- Another Planet Performances – All performances at the Greek Theatre, Bill Graham Civic, Fox Theatre, Tahoe Harveys and The Independent have been postponed or canceled through March 30. This includes the Tame Impala and Third Eye Blind performance.
- Bing Concert Hall – all performances through April 15 have been canceled.
- Bohemian Club of San Francisco– All major club events this week are canceled, from March 10 until further notice.
- Broadway SF Theatres – Hamilton and The Last Ship performances have been canceled through March 25. Ticket holders will be refunded.
- California Academy of Sciences– closed through the end of March. This include’s the NightLife event on Thursday, March 12.
- City Arts & Lectures – All events and lectures have been canceled starting March 12 and replaced with livestream.
- City Hall – Tours canceled.
- Chase Center – All events and games will be canceled until March 21, and the NBA season is suspended until further notice.
- The Children’s Discovery Museum Of San Jose – close through March 10.
- Curran Theatre – Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will be canceled through March, ticket holders will be able to exchange tickets to a later date
- Grace Cathedral – All events have been canceled through March 30, with all services offered online
- Gucci Cruise Fashion Show – Canceled
- Piers 27 and 35 – closed to the public until further notice
- New Conservatory Theatre Center
- Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival – canceled
- Off the Grid Fort Mason Center – canceled until the end of March
- PBWC 2020 Conference – canceled
- Salesforce Park – All activities are suspended until further notice, while the park remains open.
- San Francisco Ballet – All performances canceled through March 20. Therefore, A Midsummer Night’s Dream will not be taking place at all.
- San Francisco Jewish Community Center
- San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival
- San Francisco Public Library – activities are suspended
- San Francisco Symphony
- San Francisco War Memorial & Performing Arts Center
- Stanford Live
- Stanford Theatre – The movie house is temporarily closed.-
- Sunday Streets – Mission is canceled, more may follow depending on the development of the situation.
- The Exploratorium – The Exploratorium will be closed until the end of March.
- Walt Disney Museum – Temporarily closed for intensive cleaning due to two cases among staff.
Postponed events or events replaced with digital alternatives
- Cinequest Film & Creativity Festival – Postponed with plans to reschedule for August 16.
- Circus Center Cabaret – March 13 and 14 performances are canceled.
- Facebook F8 and the Facebook Global Marketing Summit- All in-person events will be replaced with local events and live-streamed content.
- Game Developers Conference – TBC
- Golden Gate Park 150th Anniversary Celebration – TBC
- Google Next Cloud – Will now be held as an online conference.
- IBM Think – Will now be a digital conference.
- International Ocean Film Festival
- Lesbians Who Tech – postponed to August 5.
- Reboot Ideas Festival – TBC
- San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival – TBC
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade – TBC.
You can join the COVID-19 public information and text alert system by texting “COVID19-SF to 888-777.
Follow us on Facebook for more news.