The Exploratorium at Pier 15 in San Francisco is an exciting place for discovery any time of the day, but these 18+ After Dark events are a must for some epic kid-free fun at their exhibits. After Dark happens each Thursday from 6-10pm with a different theme every week, featuring guest speakers, films, great music, and more. Get tickets here.
Here’s what’s currently on the calendar:
- Aug 3 – After Dark: See for Yourself – No set theme. Discover the Exploratorium at night and enjoy some kid-free fun at the exhibits!
- Aug 10 – After Dark: Conversations About Landscape – The Mycelium Youth Network will present a Dungeons and Dragons-based adventure about Oakland’s ecological and social history.
- Aug 17 – After Dark: Sea Life – Join marine scientists as they pull a one-ton CO2 buoy out of the water and analyze the data it’s collected.
- Aug 24 – After Dark: Visualize and Sonify – Learn about how scientific data can be used in the art of storytelling.
- Sept 7 – After Dark: Drawing Sound – Watch a performance by Fred Frith and Heike Liss about the nature of improvisation.
These fun and interesting After Dark events are the perfect place to let out your inner child. Immerse yourself in the Fog Bridge or the giant kaleidoscope, or take groovy pictures in the optical illusion mirrors! All of this is available to you alongside refreshing cocktails and drinks, available for purchase from the Exploratorium’s Seaglass Restaurant. DJs are brought in for maximum party vibes while you enjoy the exhibits.
After Dark also brings in interesting guest speakers, depending on the theme. See demonstrations, experiments, interactive displays, and more that are brought in just for the event
The Exploratorium isn’t your average museum experience – in fact, they’ve been making their own interactive exhibits since 1969! Explore and play with over 650 fun exhibits including the “Anti-Gravity Mirror,” where you can create gravity-defying illusions; “Bacteriopolis,” a colorful wall made out of a living terrarium; and “Disagreeing About Color,” which compares individuals’ different perceptions of colored lights.
Find the Exploratorium at Pier 15 on San Francisco’s Embarcadero.
Featured image: © Exploratorium, www.exploratorium.edu