When’s the last time you paid a visit to San Francisco’s amazing Fort Mason Center? The popular art center hosts numerous exhibitions and events throughout the year, and there are some special ones coming up.
Festivals, food, & holiday activities
1. Fort Mason Center Farmers’ Market (recurring Sundays, 9:30am-1:30pm) – The Fort Mason Center For Arts & Culture (FMCAC) Farmer’s Market with over 35 vendors.
2. The Guardsmen Holiday Tree Lot (daily through Dec. 18, 9am-9pm) – Purchase holiday trees, wreaths, garlands, and decorations. Special events include the following:
- Rock the Lot! (Dec. 2-3, 6-10pm) – Comedy, classic rock, and craft beer.
- Crab Feed (Dec. 9, 6pm-12am) – Enjoy cocktails and a crab and pasta dinner.
- Guardsmen Tree Lot Party (Dec. 17, 8pm-1:30am) – A glamorous evening with live music and six bars.
2. Museo Italo Americano Holiday Market (Dec. 3, 10am-6pm & Dec. 4, 10am-5pm) – Explore a collection of goods made by Italian artisans including food, jewelry, fashion, accessories, art pieces, and craft items.
3. West Coast Craft (Dec. 10, 10am-3pm) – A popular outdoor version of WCC with 100+ vendors selling artisan items.
4. Bay Area Brew Festival (January 28) – A day of all things beer with over 50 breweries, DJs, and food trucks.
5. Calistoga Wine Experience (February 4, 1-4pm) – Wine tasting and charcuterie with Napa’s best wine makers.
Art exhibitions, performances, and more
6. HALIE! The Mahalia Jackson Musical (December 2-24) – Lorraine Hansberry Theatre presents a new work about the life of gospel legend and Civil Rights activist Mahalia Jackson.
7. Out of the Box (December 3, 3:30-6:30pm) – This play takes you on journey through a high-stakes VR game.
8. Mark Foehringer’s Nutracker Sweets (December 3-18): A 50-minute production of classic holiday ballet.
9. Holiday Harmonies A Cappella Event (December 4, 4-10pm): A holiday concert with five acclaimed a cappella groups.
10. This Present Moment (through January 31) – Alicia Eggert’s neon sculpture exhibit presented by the Long Now Foundation.
11. St. John Will I Am Coltrane African Orthodox Church at Magic Theatre (recurring Sundays) – Lively church service with meditation service every first Sunday.
12. Kija Lucas: A Taxonomy of Belonging (through December 17): A presentation of Lucas’ 9-year project In Search of Home, which features photographs of plant clippings, rocks, and other materials representing her family’s emigration path.
13. BATS In-Person Improv Shows 2022 (through December 31): Fort Mason Center organization BATS Improv presents a series of in-person improv shows with audience participation.
14. Marco Castillo: Parlor Games (through January 7): An exhibition of sculptures and more by Cuban artist Marco Castillo.
15. A Year With Frog & Toad (January 7-15): Bay Area Children’s Theatre presents a beloved Broadway adaptation.
16. Christo Oropeza: Aun así, pienso en ti (through January 23): Fort Mason Center’s newest outdoor mural recreates former army loading docks. See it in the “Corridor Gallery” between Landmark Buildings B & C.
17. Museo Italo Americano: ContemporArte (through February 19): Selected works by Italian artists from Museo Italo Americano’s permanent collection.
18. Crystalline Resonance (March 3, 2023) – Piano concert presenting works from the Final Fantasy videogame franchise.
About Fort Mason Center
Fort Mason Center For Arts & Culture pushes the envelope with rotating art exhibitions, theater and dance performances, movie nights, and educational and cultural classes at its waterside campus. The center also hosts two dozen nonprofit organizations and supports them with annual grants, so as to continue producing the compelling, innovative works that the center has come to be known for.
Keep an eye on the Fort Mason Center calendar for more upcoming events, many of which are free to attend! You can find the Fort Mason Center at 2 Marina Boulevard along the northern waterfront of San Francisco between Aquatic Park and Marina Green.