U.K. price comparison website Comparethemarket recently released a study about the most popular landmarks around the world, and San Francisco’s very own Golden Gate Bridge made an appearance! Our famous bridge ranked as the 6th most popular landmark in the United States and the 14th most popular landmark in the world.
The team at Comparethemarket analyzed Instagram hashtags and Google searches for 70+ famous landmarks around the world in order to assemble their ranking. The Golden Gate Bridge came in at 3.2M Instagram hashtags and 673K global monthly Google searches. Here’s a look at the top 6 US landmarks and how they measured up.
- Times Square: 4.8M Instagram hashtags/1.5M global monthly search volume
- Niagara Falls: 3.6M Instagram hashtags/1.8M global monthly search volume
- Grand Canyon: 4.2M Instagram hashtags/1.2M global monthly search volume
- White House: 1.9M Instagram hashtags/1.5M global monthly search volume
- Statue of Liberty: 2.2M Instagram hashtags/1.2M global monthly search volume
- Golden Gate Bridge: 3.2M Instagram hashtags/0.7M global monthly search volume
As for the world landmark rankings, the Golden Gate Bridge came in at #14 behind some heavy hitters including Dubai’s Burj Khalifa at #1; Paris’s Eiffel Tower at #2; and the Taj Mahal in Agra, India at #5. Some other high-ranking landmarks were Peru’s Machu Picchu at #7, Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia at #10, and Rome’s Colosseum at #20. Although the Burj Khalifa is the most searched-for landmark on Google at 2.2M global searches per month, the Eiffel Tower beats it out for Instagram hashtags at a whopping 7.2M.
To compile the initial list of 70 famous landmarks, Comparethemarket created two seedlists from articles referencing “bucket list landmarks.” They then created a weighted ranking system using Instagram hashtag volume within the site, and Google search volume via Google Keyword Planner. Here you can see the full list of “The World’s Most Popular Bucket List Landmarks.”