Jerry Day is back this year at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in McLaren Park! The beloved free musical event will kick off at 11:30am (doors open at 11am) on August 5, 2023 in celebration of what would be Jerry Garcia’s 81st birthday. Performers include Melvin Seals and JGB, Stu Allen and Mars Hotel, and more special guests.
In addition to the big day, there are a handful of other FREE events to get the party started (and keep it going!). Here’s what’s going on:
- Aug. 1: Jerry Garcia birthday party at The Junction in Mill Valley
- Aug. 2: Grateful Dead Night with the SF Giants at Oracle Park
- Aug. 4: Sweet Undertow at Gentilly
- Aug. 5: Jerry Day at Jerry Garcia Amphitheater
- Aug. 5, following Jerry Day: “Jerry Nite” post-parties
- Dark Horse Inn (942 Geneva Ave) with music by The Bonafides
- Bottoms Up (4704 Mission St) with music by Sweet Undertow
- Gentilly (4826 Mission St) with music by Six Foot Banditos
- Recovery Room (4528 Mission St) with music by Hot Mountain Dips
- The Check In (201 Ocean Ave) with music by Kim Capria
- Tala Wine (4625 Mission St) with music by Three Flower Jam
- Aug. 6: Buddy Guy at Stern Grove Festival
- Aug. 6: A Grateful Day at Mare Island in Vallejo
- Aug. 18: McLaren Park Volunteer Day
- Aug. 18: Jerry Garcia Tribute Night presented by Oakland A’s and Jerry Garcia Family
Jerry Day is of course a celebration of Jerry Garcia, a San Francisco legend and lead guitarist/vocalist of the Grateful Dead. Garcia was born and raised in San Francisco’s Excelsior District and is a major source of pride for many locals who call the neighborhood home.
Since 2002, Jerry Day has worked to unite the diverse and low-income neighborhoods around McLaren Park to provide them with resources and a sense of community through art and music.
Be sure to partake in Jerry Day’s many free celebrations at the beginning of August!
Remember that doors open at 11am and music starts at 11:30am for the Aug. 5 Jerry Day concerts at Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in San Francisco’s McLaren Park.