Have you paid a visit to the Filipino-inspired oasis that is Kapwa Gardens? This vibrant outdoor garden space hosts dozens of events for the community, and this month is shaping up to be a good one.
Here’s what you should put on your calendar:
- October 2 (5:30-8:30pm) – Club XOXO Presents ASWANG – A variety pop show featuring drag queens, a fashion show, and more.
- October 8 (12-6pm) – Mahal Market – A curated market of high-quality thrifted clothing.
- October 15 (2-6pm) – THRIVE: APAture 2022 – A multidisciplinary arts festival by Kearny Street Workshop.
- October 22 (12-6pm) – UNDSCVRD Culture Crawl – Large annual street market throughout SOMA Pilipinas.
- Free Covid-19 testing & vaccinations (1:30pm-7pm Wednesdays)
Kapwa Gardens was voted the best non-profit of 2021 by The Bold Italic after less than a year in business. Each month it’s known to host exercise classes, plant fairs, street food extravaganzas, and much more. Stay tuned as we update this article with future events!
According to Kapwa Gardens’ website, kapwa is a Filipino spiritual belief of interconnectedness. “Kapwa is a recognition of a shared identity, an inner self, shared with others. Kapwa is an extension of deep empathy.”
Kapwa Gardens started as the UNDSCVRD Court, a prototype that ran for 2 months to great success at the hands of Kultivate Labs, a nonprofit business accelerator. The City then awarded the company this large parking lot at 967 Mission, where they built this incredible space in April 2021.
You can visit Kapwa Gardens at 967 Mission Street.