Oktoberfest 2023 is here and there are plenty of opportunities in the Bay Area to eat, drink, and party like a German.
Oktoberfest started in Munich, Germany in 1810 to celebrate the wedding of the crown prince of Bavaria. Though Munich is still home to the most famous festival, Oktoberfest is celebrated across the globe and is synonymous with beer-fueled parties, traditional German garb, and general frivolity. Simply put, Oktoberfest is a very fun time.
Whether or not you plan to don the traditional lederhosen or dirndl, there are plenty of Oktoberfest celebrations to enjoy in the Bay Area.
1. Sept. 9, 10am-5pm – USS Hornet Battlestar Classic Beerfest and Cornhole Tournament in Alameda – Drink beer and play cornhole on the deck of a WWII aircraft carrier in Alameda.
2. Sept. 9, 12-6pm – Woodsfest Treasure Island on Treasure Island in SF – Celebrate Oktoberfest at Woods’ local getaway on Treasure Island with German food, festive music, and exclusive beer releases.
3. Sept. 15, 3-10pm – Schroeders’ Annual Oktoberfest Block Party in San Francisco – Visit the oldest Bavarian beer hall on the West Coast for a celebration with live music, beer specials, beer games, and more.
4. Sept. 16-Oct. 3 – Oktoberfest with Radhaus – Fort Mason’s own Bavarian beer hall Radhaus holds a weeks-long celebration with discounts, events, and beer releases.
5. Sept. 16, 12-8pm – Oktoberfest at Original Pattern Brewing in Oakland – Enjoy festive beer releases, beer games, German food, and more.
6. Sept. 16, 11am-6pm – Benicia Oktoberfest & Marketplace – A festival with traditional Bavarian music, a marketplace with handmade crafts, beer tasting, and family activities.
7. Sept 16, 12-5pm – Okdroberfest San Leandro – Enjoy $8 pours from Fieldwork, 21st Amendment, and Drakesisten while playing traditional Oktoberfest games.
8. Sept 16, 12-9pm – SF Brewing Co Oktoberfest Keg Tapping 2023 at Ghirardelli Square – One $20 ticket gets you a complimentary SFBCo drinking boot filled with a choice of two beer selections. Celebration includes a costume contest, German beers, traditional music, and more.
9. Sept 20-24 – Oktoberfest in Redwood City – Slide into a bench at Redwood City’s popular multi-day fall event featuring German-style entertainment, dancing, food, and more.
10. Sept 22, 6-9pm – Oktoberfest at Park Chalet in SF – The Park Chalet transforms into an old world village with authentic German music, custom 1L steins to take home, and traditional entertainment.
11. Sept 23, 12-8pm – Oktoberfest Fest at Temescal Brewing in Oakland – Enjoy an afternoon of live DJ sets, bratwurst, a steinholding competition, and delicious pours of Temescal’s Oktoberfest beer.
12. Sept 23, 2-8pm – Oktoberfest Celebration in Jack London with Tiger’s Taproom in Oakland – Underberg sponsors this beer-centric celebration at Jack London Square with games, prizes, and mouthwatering smoked sausages.
13. Sept 30, 4pm – Irish Center Oktoberfest by the Beach with the United Irish Cultural Center in SF – The fifth annual rendition of UICC’s beachside Oktoberfest celebration featuring stein holding contests and authentic dancing and music.
14. Sept 30-Oct 1 – Oaktoberfest in the Dimond in Oakland – A full weekend of German music and food, hundreds of vendors, and the best craft beer in the Bay.
15. Oct 21-22 – Campbell Chamber Oktoberfest – A lively celebration featuring authentic German food and drink, arts and crafts, steinholding competitions, and more.