San Francisco City Hall is one of the most eye-catching buildings in San Francisco, with an incredible façade and dome that recall St. Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican. If the building itself weren’t awesome enough, it’s often lit up at night with a soft white light to help it stand out dramatically after dark.
San Franciscans are accustomed to seeing City Hall occasionally lit up in different colors for special events and holidays, but this month’s lighting schedule is packed! Almost every single day in June, we will be treated to a new lighting scheme honoring a different holiday, event, or group of people.
Here’s the lighting schedule this month, according to the City’s website:
- Wednesday, June 1, 2022 – pink – in recognition of the illumination of the 2022 Pink Triangle on Twin Peaks
- Thursday, June 2, 2022 – rainbow – in recognition of the raising of the PRIDE Flag for SF PRIDE
- Friday, June 3, 2022 – orange – in recognition of National Gun Violence Awareness Day
- Saturday, June 4, 2022 – green/white/red – in recognition of the National Day of Italy
- Sunday, June 5, 2022 – blue/gold – in recognition of Game 2 of the NBA Finals
- Monday, June 6, 2022 – rainbow – in recognition of the display of (5) panels of the AIDS Memorial Quilt from the Mayor’s Balcony; this year is the 35th Anniversary of the AIDS Memorial Quilt
- Tuesday, June 7, 2022 – red/white/blue – in recognition of Election Day
- Wednesday, June 8, 2022 – red/white/blue – in recognition of the National Day of the United Kingdom
- Friday, June 10, 2022 – red/black/green – in recognition of the Kickoff of San Francisco’s Juneteenth Celebrations
- Saturday, June 11, 2022 – green/red – in recognition of the National Day of Portugal
- Sunday, June 12, 2022 – red/blue/yellow – in recognition of the National Day of the Philippines
- Friday, June 17, 2022 – orange/black – in recognition of the Commencement Weekend of the University of the Pacific’s Dugoni School of Dentistry
- Sunday, June 19, 2022 – red/black/green – in recognition of Juneteenth/Emancipation Day
- Monday, June 20, 2022 – yellow/black – in recognition of National Pollinator Week
- Tuesday, June 22 through Wednesday, June 23, 2022 – rainbow – in recognition of SF PRIDE Week
- Thursday, June 23, 2022 – red/white/light blue – in recognition of the National Day of Luxembourg
- Friday, June 24, 2022 – blue/pink/white – in recognition of the annual SF Trans March
- Saturday, June 25, 2022 – pink – in recognition of the de-illumination of the 2022 Pink Triangle
- Sunday, June 26, 2022 – rainbow – in recognition of SF PRIDE Weekend
Pride-themed lighting events include pink for the installation and de-illumination of the Pink Triangle on June 1 and 25; rainbow on June 2, 6, 22, 23, and 26; and pink, blue and white for the Trans March on June 24. Note that the lighting schedule is subject to change.
City Hall turns on their 220 LED lightbulbs every day at sunset, so pick a day you’re excited to see and cruise over for a nice view in the evening! Interestingly, these LED bulbs were only placed in 2016. Until then, a group of workers would spend hours installing and uninstalling theatrical gels on each individual incandescent lightbulb for the day’s given color. The LED bulbs save a ton of electricity and last about 20 years, and of course changing the color is as simple as pressing a button.
Keep an eye on City Hall this month for some exciting colors that reflect the diversity of our community!
Featured image: Courtesy of Pankaj Bhargava