It’s official, Fleet Week is back for 2022! We can expect to enjoy this amazing week from October 3-11, and the Air Show featuring the U.S. Navy Blue Angels will happen on October 7, 8, and 9.
Other events include the following:
- Honor Our Fallen Concert (6pm on October 6 at Herbst Theatre)
- Parade of Ships (11am on October 7 along SF Waterfront)
- K9 Heroes (10am-2pm on October 8 at Duboce Park)
- Ship Tours (10am-4pm October 5-9, 9am-12pm October 10 at Piers 30, 32, and 35)
- Humanitarian Assistance Village (10am-4pm October 7-9 at Marina Green)
- STEM Center (10am October 7-9 at Marina Green)
- Free concert series (October 4-10 in Chinatown, Duboce Park, and West Portal)
- Veterans Art Exhibit (October 3-11 at Academy of Art University’s Photo Gallery)
The Air Show is perhaps Fleet Week’s most highly anticipated event, and for good reason. Each year, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels perform a choreographed show between the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, attracting fans from across the world. It’s the only air show in the U.S. to feature a commercial airliner, the United 777, doing a fully choreographed act. The Blue Angels themselves will be flying their new F-18 Super Hornets, a premium fighter aircraft that is sure to make a statement in the sky!
You’ll hear the Air Show from just about anywhere in the city, but some of the best places to watch from are Crissy Field, Twin Peaks, Aquatic Park, and anywhere around Fisherman’s Wharf.
Check out these highlights from previous years for a preview of what’s to come:
San Francisco Fleet Week has been a fixture on the Bay Area cultural calendar since 1981, when then-Senator Dianne Feinstein kicked off this celebration of the nation’s sea services. Feinstein continues to be an honorary co-chair of the event, which is now one of the biggest of its kind in the country. According to the Fleet Week website, the event generates $10 million annually for the city.
Learn more about San Francisco Fleet Week here, and be sure to mark your calendar for these awesome events happening from October 3-11, 2022!
Featured image: @marcus_aureliuz on Instagram