Happy Friday, San Francisco!
The weekend is here, and Secret San Francisco wants to help you make the most of it! We put out awesome new weekend plans for you each week, so you’ll never again miss an incredible event or news story. Enjoy!
Here’s the forecast for this weekend, according to Weather.com:
- Friday 9/17: Mostly sunny, 63°F/17.2°C
- Saturday 9/18: Partly cloudy, 63°F/17.2°C
- Sunday 9/19: AM Showers, 65°F/18.3°C
1. Check out the Transbay neighborhood’s brand-new beer garden and food truck park
Meet The Crossing, a giant new community space located in SF’s Transbay neighborhood.
At the moment they have revealed a beer garden, food truck park, soccer fields, and ground mural on the block between Howard, Main, Folsom, and Beale Streets. The plan is to eventually add an outdoor cinema, fitness space, food and retail kiosks, marketplace, event spaces, and more. Learn all about it here!
Find The Crossing at the former Temporary Transbay Terminal site, located at 200 Folsom St. in San Francisco.
2. SF Botanical Garden’s gorgeous Flower Piano event is happening now through Tuesday
Flower Piano is back! Twelve beautiful public pianos will be placed around the gardens, so you can enjoy lovely music in an even lovelier setting. Tickets are now on sale for the event happening Friday, September 17 through Tuesday, September 21. SF residents can attend for free! Just make sure you reserve ahead of time. See the full schedule of events and more here.
3. Check out this spectacular lowrider celebration on Saturday in the Mission
The SF Lowrider Council is celebrating their 40th anniversary with an awesome exhibit in the Mission running through September, as well as a special event and “Celebration Cruise” on September 18. The event wil feature lowrider vehicles, food vendors, art, performances, and more. It will happen along Mission St. at 24th Street from 2pm-9pm on Saturday, September 18. Learn all about it here!
4. Watch Field of Dreams on Dirty Habit’s rooftop patio this Sunday
summer autumn, San Francisco! The beloved, stylish restaurant Dirty Habit has grand plans in store to accommodate SF’s characteristic warm fall weather, with the release of an outdoor movie series on select Sundays into October. This Sunday they’ll screen Field of Dreams, with ticket proceeds going to benefit local sports programs through the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame. Get tickets here, and learn about the rest of the series here.
5. 5 lovely orchards for apple picking around the Bay Area
Autumn is officially here, and some of our favorite seasonal foods are ripe for the pickin’! Apple season peaks in the Bay Area in September and October, so many local orchards are opening their doors for “U Pick,” when people can visit and pick their own apples. Click here for full details about each of these places:
- Casari Ranch (Valley Ford)
- EARTHseed Farm (Sebastopol)
- Apple-a-Day Ratzlaff Ranch (Sebastopol)
- Gizdich Ranch (Watsonville)
- Clearview Orchards (Watsonville)
- Bonus: Apple Hill Region
6. 8 excellent Bay Area thrift shops recommended by locals
Do you know where the best thrift shops are in the Bay Area? We asked our Instagram followers for their recommendations, and they didn’t disappoint! Read on to discover the best Bay Area thrift stores, recommended by locals. See full descriptions of each thrift shop here.
- Crossroads Trading
- Out of the Closet
- Community Thrift Store
- Buffalo Exchange
- 2nd STREET
- Goodwill Boutique
Featured image: Courtesy of San Francisco Botanical Garden