The weekend is here, and Secret San Francisco wants to help you make the most of it! We put out awesome new weekend plans for you each week, so you’ll never again miss an incredible event or news story. Enjoy!
Here’s the forecast for this weekend, according to Weather.com:
- Friday 11/26: AM sun, PM clouds, 61°F
- Saturday 11/27: Sunny, 65°F
- Sunday 11/28: Partly cloudy, 63°F
1. 16 things to do over Thanksgiving weekend in San Francisco
Looking for some fun activities to do post-turkey? San Francisco has plenty of events, activities, and fun spots to hit up during Thanksgiving weekend. Here are some of our favorites:
- See the first lighting ceremony for the Union Square menorah
- Enjoy a breathtaking local hike
- Sip on gourmet hot chocolate from SF’s best chocolatiers
- Skate the night away at a glittering ice rink
2. 45 wholesome things San Franciscans are grateful for this year
Thanksgiving has officially come and gone, and as we wake up post-turkey, it’s a good time to cherish the little things. We asked our Facebook and Instagram followers to share reasons why they’re thankful to San Francisco, and had a heartwarming outpouring of responses! Here are some of our favorite responses to “Finish this sentence: I’m so grateful to San Francisco for…”
- “…the Giants, the 49ers, the Music Scene, the breathtaking views, the diversity, the eclectic foods, being my home town “
- “…becoming more bicycle/pedestrian friendly….w fewer cars and zero accidents. I love a car free Ocean Beach highway and Golden Gate Park!”
- “…70 degree weather on Thanksgiving ❤️”
3. Here’s the December lineup of free performances at the Bandshell
The San Francisco live music scene is truly back in business! All performances are free and family-friendly, with the impressive Golden Gate Bandshell as the backdrop. The Bandshell, which is 120 years old, added new lighting, a state-of-the-art sound system, and a new stage during the pandemic.
4. 20 of the best ice rinks, light displays and more to put on your winter bucket list
Winter is here, and the Bay Area is going all out! We’ve rounded up our favorite local light displays, ice rinks, and activities happening this season. Whether you want to stay close to home, or you’re willing to venture out a bit, there’s no shortage of ways to celebrate the holidays in the Bay! Here are some essentials:
- Upside-down tree at Westfield Sf Centre
- Entwined at Golden Gate Park
- Holiday train rides
- Classical candlelight concerts
5. Find the perfect holiday gift at this weekend’s craft fairs and markets
There are so many holiday markets happening this weekend! Here’s a preview:
- Holiday Market Place and Christmas Tree Stroll (Friday 12-6pm at Ghirardelli Square)
- SF Fashion Festival (2-7pm Friday at Executive Order)
- Creativity Explored Holiday Pop-Up (8am-3pm Saturday at the Ferry Building)
- Modern Makers Festival Patchwork Show (10am-4pm Saturday at Westfield SF Centre)
- Fog City Flea (all day Friday-Sunday at the Ferry Building)
6. This SF couple plants native wildflowers in neglected city spaces… and so can you!
San Francisco is iconic for its outdoor areas and green spaces, but even the most vibrant of cities can feel a bit neglected when it comes to forgotten sidewalks and empty lots. Shalaco and Phoenix of SFinBloom have decided to take things into their own hands by scattering California native wildflower seeds wherever they go!
The process is simple: Fill a parmesan cheese shaker with native seeds, and sprinkle to your heart’s content. After planting seeds all over town, there’s nothing better than seeing a thriving indigenous garden in a previously sparse corner of the city.
7. The luxurious children’s Teddy Bear Tea is back at the Ritz-Carlton
Each year, the Ritz-Carlton hotel in San Francisco puts on an adorable and, of course, ritzy Teddy Bear Tea, where children can sip on hot chocolate and enjoy a lively holiday show. Partial proceeds go to benefit the Bay Area Make-A-Wish Foundation.
8. 10 exceptional ramen spots recommended by San Franciscans, for San Franciscans
A steaming bowl of ramen is perhaps the most comforting and filling food we can think of! San Francisco, with its plethora of delicious and authentic Asian food, is one of the best places to enjoy this amazing dish. We decided to see where San Franciscans get their ramen fix, so we polled our Instagram followers for recommendations. Here are some of our favorites!
- Marufuku Ramen
- Mensho Tokyo SF
- Ushi Taro Ramen
9. The Great Highway will now have food trucks starting this weekend
SF Rec & Parks has announced the launch of a new pilot program bringing food trucks to the Great Highway on its car-free days, which begin on Fridays at noon and end Mondays at 6am, plus holidays. Food trucks currently scheduled include Viva Vegan (plant-based burgers) and California Kahve (coffee and matcha drinks).