Do you want to pick up a new hobby or sport? One of SF’s most underrated public programs comes to us courtesy of the SF Recreation & Parks department, which brings an impressive lineup of all-ages art and fitness classes every single season. From photography to basketball, you’ll always find an interesting activity to join for a few months of the year or to keep up all year long. We’re incredibly lucky to have a resource like this in SF, so read on to learn how to make the most of it.
Fall registration is coming up!
Fall is nearly here, so registration dates are coming up for the new season (courses in September, October, and November). Here are some save-the-dates to keep in mind. You can see the fall 2023 course catalog here.
- Aug 5 (10am) – Member Registration opens for members with FOSAS or the Randall Museum.
- Aug 16 (10am) – Priority Registration opens for scholarship recipients and seniors 55+. 50% of available spots will be released.
- Aug 19 (10am) – General Registration opens for the general public. The remaining 50% of available spots will be released.
Every season, SF Rec & Parks releases a new course catalog with hundreds of classes to choose from. Some are offered year-round and some change seasonally, but they generally fall into the categories of sports & recreation and arts & crafts. Many have beginning, intermediate, and advanced groups so you can jump right into your level or work your way up. Here are just a few of the most popular courses to keep an eye out for:
- Ceramics, stained/fused glass, photography, watercolor painting
- Sewing, knitting & crocheting
- Dance classes (line dancing, ballroom dancing, International folk)
- Boot camp, Pilates, yoga, tai chi
- Pickleball, tennis, badminton
- Volleyball, golf, basketball, rock climbing
- Kayaking, swimming
Classes are always split up by age — the groups are Tots (5 and under); Youth, Tweens, and Teens (ages 5-17); Adults (18+); and Seniors (55+). There are also some all-ages family classes.
Registering for a course
Exact dates for registration and programs are TBA each season, but they generally go as follows:
- Spring: Registration in March for activities in March, April, and May.
- Summer: Registration in May for activities in June, July, and August.
- Fall: Registration in August for activities in September, October, and November.
- Winter: Registration in December for activities in January, February, and March.
Once activities are released and before registration opens, you can start adding courses to your Wish List in order to simplify the registration process when the time comes. If an activity fills up, you can add yourself to the Wait List to be contacted if a spot opens up.
If you don’t want to commit to a full course, there are also drop-in activities like tai chi, pickleball, volleyball, and table tennis.
Course fees range from free to over $400 depending on each class’s equipment, duration, size, and other factors. For example, a two-month adult ceramics class will run you about $200-250, but drop-in pickleball is free. Two months of once-a-week Vinyasa yoga come out to $60-70, but you can also join drop-in boot camps for free. Keep your mind open, add classes that pique your interest to your Wish List, and start narrowing down from there.
Find more information about seasonal activities and courses at the SF Rec & Parks website.