People around the world are rushing to send aid to the Middle East in the wake of a devastating 7.8-magnitude earthquake that hit parts of Turkey and Syria on Monday, Feb. 6. The reported death toll has risen to 34,000 people across both countries. A number of local, national, and international organizations are working around the clock to raise funds and send much-needed supplies. Read on for a list of ways to help Turkey-Syria earthquake victims from San Francisco.
While looking for places to donate to, you can use Charity Navigator to check the legitimacy of any charities or organizations you’re unsure about.
How to help in the Bay Area
1. Donate items to ETAC in Santa Clara
Empowering the Turkish American Community (ETAC) USA has a headquarters in Santa Clara that is accepting donations of tents, sleeping bags, waterproof blankets, baby formula, and more. You can also make a monetary donation online.
If you can’t make it to Santa Clara, you can bring the items to SF Turkish-Mediterranean restaurants Lokma and Taksim, to be taken to ETAC.
- ETAC USA Santa Clara Headquarters: 3170 De La Cruz Blvd Suite 119, Santa Clara. Accepting donations on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 9am and 6pm.
- Lokma: 1801 Clement St, San Francisco
- Taksim: 564 4th St, San Francisco
2. Donate items for Turkish Airlines relief flights
CBS News reported that several Turkish Airlines relief flights flew from SFO to Turkey this weekend carrying donated goods and relief packages.
CalTurks (TAAC) is helping to coordinate drop-off of items for relief flights. No word yet on when the next flights will leave, but KTVU reported that TAAC will continue to collect needed items “for as long as it takes to help people survive and rebuild.” Here are some more contacts to reach out to if you have items you want to donate:
- San Francisco – Elif Sensurucu (+1 650 505 8212)
- Berkeley – Jozef Saul (+1 510 990 2051)
- San Francisco – Baris (+1 650 334 8215)
- Peninsula/Palo Alto Area – Nalan (+1 650 380 6096)
- SF East Bay – Berna (+1 510 684 6630)
- San Jose Area – Orgul (+1 408 806 1815)
- Monterey-Carmel Area – Ozden (+1 831 277 4531)
Organizations accepting monetary donations
There are countless nonprofit organizations currently accepting monetary donations to help relief workers and victims in Turkey and Syria. Here are some that you can look into:
- Turkish Philanthropic Funds – Coordinates and sends donations to vetted NGOs that are helping victims of the earthquake in various different ways.
- Doctors Without Borders – A humanitarian NGO that provides lifesaving medical care, medical supplies, and support for local hospitals.
- CARE – An organization providing food, shelter, hygiene kits, and cold weather supplies.
- World Food Program – A global charity that provides life-saving meals in times of crisis.
- Americares – Provides medicine, medical supplies, and emergency funding.
- UNICEF – An organization on the ground rushing emergency relief to children and families.
- Save the Children – The Children’s Emergency Fund provides food, shelter, and warm clothing to children and families.
- Turkish Red Crescent – A Turkish organization providing blood supplies and nutritional necessities.
- Mercy Corps – An organization on the ground in Syria helping with emergency water, sanitation, and hygiene needs.
- Oxfam – Global organization mobilizing water, sanitation, shelter, and food support; as well as long-term rehabilitation and reconstruction.
- AFAD – The Ministry of Interior Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency deploys search and rescue units from around the world.
- UN Crisis Relief – Deploys search and rescue teams to provide life-saving support.
- AHBAP – A Turkish NGO providing medical supplies, food, and shelter.
This list will be updated as we learn about more ways to help from San Francisco.