Daily ice skating is just around the corner!
It’s that time of year! Union Square Ice Rink will soon be available to skaters of all ages and abilities, and opening day is Wednesday, November 3! The beloved ice rink, sponsored by Safeway, will be open daily until January 17, 2022.
$19 general admission tickets, which include skate rental, are now available online. 60-minute sessions begin every 90 minutes from 10am until 11:00pm daily, except for December 31, when they close at 9:30pm.
You can also rent skate helpers for $6 and lockers for $5, and there are options for private parties to rent the rink on select Mondays and Tuesdays! All skaters over 12 must provide proof of vaccination.
A collection of special events is on the calendar, so you can take your skating experience up a notch! Keep an eye out for the following fun activities:
- Wednesday, November 3, 9:30-10:00am
- A festive opening ceremony featuring on-ice performances and local celebrities.
Learn to Skate
- Every Saturday and Sunday, 8-9am (except Christmas Day and New Years Day)
- Skating lessons for beginners led by professional instructors. Free to those who sign up in advance!
Flashback Fridays: Presented by 80s+
- Second Fridays (November 12, December 10, and January 14), 7pm and 8:30pm sessions
- The rink will blast awesome ’80s music for a nostalgic night of skating! Legwarmers and unitards are encouraged.
Drag Queens on Ice
- Thursday, December 2, 7:30-9:30pm
- The 11th annual Drag Queens on Ice will feature fabulous performances and lip syncs by Bay Area drag queens.
Silent Skate Party
- Thursday, December 9, 7pm and 8:30pm sessions
- A silent disco provided by complimentary headphones will shake up your typical ice skating experience!
Polar Bear Skate
- Wednesday, January 1, 2:30pm-3:30pm
- Ring in the New Year with this popular Canadian tradition, in which skaters don their favorite bathing suit or beach attire to “take the plunge” on the ice! Prizes will be given for best costumes.
Who’s stoked to get back on the ice? Layer up and break out your favorite wintery garb, because the Union Square Ice Rink is the place to be during SF’s holiday season.
The Union Square Ice Rink’s address is 333 Post Street in San Francisco, in the heart of Union Square (duh!). Remember, the rink will only be open until January 17, so be sure to grab tickets ASAP and join in on the fun.
Featured image: David Yu via Flickr