Who’s stoked to get back on the ice? Layer up and break out your favorite wintery garb, because the Union Square Ice Rink is the place to be during SF’s holiday season. The Union Square Safeway Holiday Ice Rink is now open for skaters of all ages and abilities through January 15, 2024.
Special events at Union Square Ice Rink
A collection of special events is on the calendar, so you can take your skating experience up a notch! Here’s what’s on the calendar so far for 2023.
- Nov. 1 – Opening Celebration – The rink opens with a spectacular show featuring on-ice performances, celebrity appearances, and holiday cheer.
- Dec. 7 – Drag Queens On Ice – The 13th annual Drag Queens on Ice will feature fabulous performances and lip syncs by Bay Area drag queens. Tickets are $30 per person to skate with the Queens during their warmup, but anyone can watch the show for free.
- Dec. 8, Jan. 12 – Flashback Fridays – The rink will blast awesome ’80s music for a nostalgic night of skating! Legwarmers and unitards are encouraged.
- Dec. 14 – Silent Skate Party – A silent disco provided by complimentary headphones will shake up your typical ice skating experience! Tickets are $30 per person.
- Jan. 1 – Polar Bear Skate – Ring in the New Year with this popular Canadian tradition, in which skaters don their favorite bathing suit or beach attire to “take the plunge” on the ice! Prizes will be given for best costumes. Tickets are $25 per person.
- Saturdays through Dec. 30 – Simba Saturdays presented by Disney’s The Lion King – Skate through a golden-lit ice rink while listening to your favorite songs from the Broadway show.
- Select Saturdays and Sundays – Learn to Skate – Skating lessons for beginners led by professional instructors. Free to those who sign up in advance.
Tickets and more
Tickets are $20 for general admission and $15 for children 8 and under, including skate rental. 60-minute sessions begin every 90 minutes from 10am until 11:00pm daily, except for December 31 when the rink closes early at 9:30pm.
You can also rent skate helpers and lockers, and there are options for private parties to rent the rink on select Mondays and Tuesdays.
Union Square’s Safeway Holiday Ice Rink is located at 333 Post Street in San Francisco, in the heart of Union Square (duh!). Remember, the rink will only be open until January 15, 2024, so be sure to grab tickets and join in on the fun.