Hate to break it to you San Francisco, but Valentine’s Day is coming up. And while lovey-dovey date ideas and chocolate shops are all well and good, we promise this anti-Valentine’s Day roundup is positively unromantic. Read on for SF’s best single-friendly activities during the week of February 14th, and hold on tight till March.
1. Enjoy Galentine’s Day, movie nights, trivia, and more at SF Beer Week
SF Beer Week will take the Bay Area by storm from Feb. 10-19 and there are some hilarious events on the schedule. One of our favorites is Love Does Not Exist at Outer Orbit which includes break-up film screenings; “Fuck’em Flights;” a Single’s Special with beer, pizza, and ice cream; and an open mic for break-up stories. Check it out on Feb. 14th at 5pm.
Other exciting events include GALentine’s Day (Feb. 13) and Single Awareness day (Feb. 15) at Drake’s Barrel House, a Tie Dye Party at Degrees Plato on Feb. 12, and a Drag Brunch at Barebottle on Feb. 18. Not to mention plenty of movie nights and trivia to fill out your evenings. See the full schedule here.
2. Sing your heart out at Roxie Theater’s Anti-Valentine’s Day Power Ballad Sing-A-Long
The Roxie Theater is bringing back their epic Valentine’s Day sing-along night with special focus on ’80s power ballads. Belt out the best of Journey, Guns ‘n Roses, Bon Jovi, Warrant, and more at this popular event courtesy of SF Sketchfest.
3. Drop your pants and raise money for charity at Cupid’s Undie Run
The 2023 rendition of Cupid’s Undie Run arrives at SF’s Woodbury cocktail bar on February 18th. Start the day with drinking and dancing, jog about a mile in your undies, and then finish the day with… you guessed it, more drinking and dancing. Proceeds from the event go to finding a cure for neurofibromatosis (NF), a rare genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow on nerve tissue.
4. Discover the best in goat fashion at SF’s Goat My Valentine Fashion Show
Value Culture’s 5th annual Goat My Valentine Fashion Show is back at Union Square on Feb. 14th from 4-6pm. Watch GOAT (Greatest of All Time) surprise guests walk the runway with actual goats (yes, the animal), all decked out in the chicest goat fashions by Britex Fabrics. Special guests include Senator Scott Weiner, The Last Black Man in San Francisco actor Jimmie Fails, and rapper Big Rich. There will be a 21+ after party and beer garden at Hawthorn following the event.
As for the goats, they represent City Grazing, an SF-based goat landscaping nonprofit dedicated to sustainable land management and fire risk reduction. Proceeds will go to City Grazing and other nonprofits helping to put on the event.
5. Take yourself on a solo date around the Bay Area
In the spirit of self-care, here are some pleasant solo date ideas if you just want a little me time. Take this as your friendly reminder to get out of the house and try something new — you may just find an awesome new hobby or escape!
- Catch a temporary museum exhibition
- Find your next plant children at a local nursery
- Pick up a great read at a local bookstore
- And more
6. Let it all out at the ephemeral Valentine’s Day Pillow Fight
Arguably one of San Francisco’s more mysterious events, the Valentine’s Day Pillow Fight is a tradition that usually happens around 6pm on Feb. 14th at Embarcadero Plaza. To be clear, this is a tentative, unofficial and unpermitted event… but as the event organizer told Funcheap last year, “if 1,000 people head down to Embarcadero Plaza with pillows and THINK there’s going to be a pillow fight… then there’s probably going to be a motherf*cking pillow fight.”
Some feather-related rules of thumb: wear a mask to avoid inhaling feathers, bring a synthetic pillow to reduce the amount of feathers, and bring a trash bag to help clean up the feathers. Also, don’t hit anyone who isn’t holding a pillow.
7. Party it up for “Galentines” and “Malentines” Day at Fort Mason Center’s The Candid Ball
Take advantage of the rare opportunity to dance in the historic General’s Residence at Fort Mason Center’s Candid Ball on Feb. 14. Enjoy speed dating, live music, matchmaking, and dinner at the launch party for the Candid dating app.
8. Laugh through the pain at these Valentine’s Day comedy shows
Sit back and join some fellow cynics with stories about breakups, worst dates, and teen angst from SF’s best comedians. Here are some great standup shows and open mics to put on your radar.
- Feb. 10-11 – Doomed Valentines Show 2023 “Mortified Live” Teen Angst Diaries + Storytelling at DNA Lounge
- Feb. 10-11 – SF’s 2023 Valentine’s Day Weekend Comedy Spectacular
- Feb. 11 – F*ck Valentine’s Day Comedy Show 2023
- Feb. 11 – MORTIFIED’S DOOMED VALENTINES SHOW at The New Parish
- Feb. 13 – SO THIS SUCKS: A Night of Heartbreak & Disappointment
9. Let loose at Noise Pop’s Post Valentine Singles Day
Noise Pop is gearing up for an epic singles event on Feb. 15 at Record Bar SF. Dance your heart out at this night of electronic and techno music while sipping delicious craft cocktails. There’s also a nice cozy outdoor chill area with a giant movie screen and heat lamps.
10. Celebrate February’s superior holiday: Super Bowl Sunday
What’s Valentine’s Day? Super Bowl LVII arrives on Feb. 12 and it appears to be the only major holiday of note this month. Watch the big game at SF’s best sports bars and make it a weekend to remember.