Secret San Francisco wants to help you make the most of your free time! We put out “Don’t miss” weekend plans and news for you each week, so you’ll always catch an important event or news story. Here’s a summary of things we wrote about this past weekend (1/14-1/16) that you can still check out.
Time to start planning for your next free day!
1. Walk beneath a waterfall at SF’s inspiring Martin Luther King Jr. memorial
Yerba Buena Gardens in San Francisco is an iconic city park that’s perfect for picnics and fresh air. It’s also home to one of the country’s largest memorials to Martin Luther King Jr., an enormous sculptural waterfall fountain featuring inscribed quotations from Dr. King. When’s the last time you visited this profound monument?
2. The most jaw-dropping videos from this weekend’s tsunami in the Bay Area
Video from Cassidy Gillin of waves thrashing near the O’Neill lounge in Santa Cruz.
— Victor Guzman KION (@VGuzman_TV) January 15, 2022
The Bay Area was rocked by a tsunami this weekend after an underwater volcano erupted near Tonga Saturday morning. The National Weather Service issued a tsunami warning for the entire west coast of the US, including the Bay Area. The tsunami arrived at high tide Saturday morning around 8am and brought widespread flooding throughout the rest of the day, though evacuation orders and warnings were lifted by Saturday afternoon. See videos of the tsunami here.
3. Find these breathtaking cliff views just an hour outside of San Francisco
Wilder Ranch State Park, just a few minutes south of Davenport, is a 7,000 acre ranch from the late 1800s converted into a museum and nature preserve. It’s one of those lesser-known patches of coastline that you have to see to believe – and it’s easily enjoyed as a relaxing walk on the bluffs or a dramatic bike ride.
4. 10 essential spots to catch a Bay Area sunset
There’s truly no shortage of excellent places to see a sunset in the Bay, and we’ve had some stunners recently. We wanted to get to the bottom of where locals love to watch the sky light up, so we asked our Instagram followers. Here are some of the best spots recommended by San Franciscans!
5. 15 ideas for a romantic date in San Francisco
San Francisco is full of lovely romantic places to have a date, from fine dining to intimate outdoor adventures. Are you looking for a new activity to enjoy with a partner? Read on to get inspired.
- Enjoy classical music by candlelight at these intimate concerts
- Have a nice meal on a romantic outdoor patio
- Step up your “dinner and a movie” at this cozy Oakland theater
6. 6 fun ways to get moving outdoors in San Francisco
When it comes to working out, San Francisco has something for everyone. Whether you already have a consistent workout routine, or you’re hammering out those New Year’s resolutions, take a look at our list to get some inspiration!
- Find a new route for hiking, walking, or jogging
- Go for a bike ride
- Join an outdoor gym or bootcamp
7. NightLife at the Academy of Sciences is back for 2022
NightLife at the California Academy of Sciences is one of our favorite ongoing events, and we’re thrilled to see it kicking off 2022 with some awesome themed soirees after dark! The popular Thursday night festivities feature live DJs, outdoor bars, ambience lighting, and more alongside the Academy’s nearly 40,000 animal residents.
8. 133 awesome things to do on your day off in SF
Do you have a 3-day weekend for Martin Luther King Jr. Day? Be sure to make the most of it with these fun plans around the Bay Area.
- Check out these epic arcade bars
- Take a day trip to a spectacular destination
- Enjoy a pint at one of these lively beer gardens
- Go shopping at an excellent Bay Area thrift store
Featured image: Photo by Gayle Laird, courtesy of California Academy of Sciences